Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Best mainsail for our boats ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

C25BC
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
200 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2017 :  10:11:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

It's done a lot around me. Some on headsail some use the main only. It depends on the boat and what drives it best.

I was out yesterday afternoon the wind kicked up over 15 knots with some strong gusts , no mainsail ,wind coming from the south shifting east to west like usuall , I ended up furling in the headsail to about 2/3rds (135 genoa) to deal with gusts , I found there was not a lot of control and did not point well ,would a reefed main by itself or a small amount of jib handle better ? On my C22 I used to reef the main and hank on a storm jib in these conditions . With these furling genoas is there a certain minimum amount of sail ?

Angus
S.V.Tempus
1984 Catalina 25 SK/SR/Trad.
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2017 :  03:38:02  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Generally when I go out in a stiff breeze, which is not often, I reef the main and then once I am out, I let out the furling genoa to about 75% jib length (short of the mast). That will be okay to about 20 knots. I go conservative with letting out the furling rig until I get out far enough to judge extent of the wind. I am more concerned with gusts - Much easier to let it out more as I judge the wind conditions.

I replaced the original sails many years ago with Quantum sails that were designed after they visited the boat, took measurements and discussed with me my sailing habits - One set of reef points on the main about mid location between where the original sail had the two reef points was all I desired from past experiences. I found that I never used the upper set of reef points on the original main and with my tall rig, the one set of reef points works well for me - Gives adequate control with just the main and then adjust the furling genoa, accordingly, increasing speed and easier tacking.

I have used just the furling genoa alone w/o the main - Benefit is that I can just roll it out and roll it back in for easy set up and coming back in but if having to tack frequently, the furling genoa, used alone, swings the boat way over before regaining desired tack. Under certain wind conditions and if I feel lazy about raising/lowering the main, I infrequently go with just the furling genoa. But I would say that in heavier breezes, my preference is to go with the reefed main and then use the furling genoa after gaging the wind conditions.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 07/10/2017 03:43:46
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2017 :  03:58:51  Show Profile
I agree with Larry, It comes down to experimenting and finding out what combination works for you. It's not fun getting knocked around and fighting the boat to keep her on her feet. Matching how much sail you have up to the conditions is the key.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2017 :  06:27:57  Show Profile
Also a RF sail that is reefed to 100% with the clew even with the mast will have a shorter luff length compared to a Hank on 100% sail that will have a full luff length. Although they are both 100% the RF sail will have less square footage of cloth exposed so trying to compare the two by going by the position of the clue in relation to the mast doesn't apply.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page